Diego Martinez Martinez
Gabinete / Office
EC 1.23 , Departamento de Física, Campus de Azurem
Telefone / Phone
253 510 463 / 604 060
Categoria / Category
Investigador FCT / FCT researcher
Indicador / Researcher indicator
Página pessoal / personal page
Palavras chave / Keywords
Coatings, thin films, nanocomposite, protection, magnetron sputtering, tribiology, friction, wear, characterization, amorphous carbon, DLC, polymer, rubber, elastomer
Currículo Resumido / Short resume
- 06/2001. University of Vigo, (Spain): Chemistry Degree (Fundamental chemistry - Physical chemistry).
- 01/02/2002-30/09/2007. Institute of Materials Science of Seville (C.S.I.C. – University of Seville, Spain): Ph.D. Thesis
- 01/10/2007-31/03/2009. Université Libre de Burxelles (ULB, Belgium): postdoctoral studies.
- 01/04/2009-30/06/2014. University of Groningen (RuG, The Netherlands): postdoctoral studies, including a Post-doctoral fellowship Marie Curie “Intra European Fellowship”
- 01/07/2014-present. Center of Physics of the University of Minho (Portugal): FCT investigator.
- Deposition and characterization of coatings and thin films: In particular, by PVD (magnetron sputtering with different sources). Characterization by microscopies (TEM, SEM, AFM, etc.) spectroscopies (XPS, EELS, GD-OES, etc.) and diffraction techniques (XRD, GIXRD, ED, etc.).
- Protection of materials: materials with good mechanical properties (nanoindentation, hardness, fracture toughness, low stress), and tribology (friction at the nanoscale with LLF, macroscopic friction, and wear). Evaluation of adhesion of films to substrate (scratch test and stress tests). Solid and liquid lubrication.
- Nanostructures and their properties: nanoparticles (e.g. H2 storage in nanostructured metal hydrides) and nanostructured films (superhard and tough polycrystalline and nanocomposite structures).
- Simulation tools: films growth by kinetic Monte-Carlo, mechanical properties of materials via Molecular Dynamics and simulation of frictional performance of viscoelastic materials.